Unable to verify Whistle as a Google Voice "forwarding phone"

John M. Hammer

04 Mar, 2017 04:46 PM

I have been using Whistlephone and my Whistle-assigned phone number as a Google Voice "forwarding phone" for years. It's been working great and in general I am very pleased with the service and have never had any issue using Whistle with GV before today.

GV periodically (once a year, I think) requires its users to reverify the phones to which it forwards calls. Today I received a message from GV that my Whistle number was due for reverification. GV is reporting that it is unable to verify my Whistle number and on my end Whistlephone is not ringing when GV attempts to place the verification call.

I have looked up this issue on GV's customer service site and the usual reason this occurs is because the GV number being used to place the verification call is being flagged by the service provider as spam and therefore the call is not transmitted to the user. The phone number GV uses to place the verification call is:

202-455-8888

That number needs to be accepted as a valid incoming call on your end. Please arrange for calls from this number to get through to me (and your other users) so that I may continue to use Whistle with GV.

Thank you,
John H

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dawn on 08 Mar, 2017 04:29 PM

I am going to send this to our engineer to take a look at I am not sure about this I will forward your email to them today and respond accordingly when I hear from them.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Dawn on 08 Mar, 2017 04:54 PM

I heard back from my engineers we are not blocking that number you may want to check on your end,

3. Dawn closed this discussion on 15 Mar, 2017 07:39 PM.

4. Dawn re-opened this discussion on 19 Apr, 2017 07:42 PM

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dawn on 19 Apr, 2017 07:42 PM

I see you have it on many different devices Mac, Iphone and Ipad. what systems are you running on these devices. ie. windows operating system ..etc

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Dawn on 21 Apr, 2017 07:04 PM

John
    I have been looking into this myself and was able to verify through google voice that, whistle is not supported through them. VoIP numbers cannot be added as a linked or forwarding number. Here's an article with more information https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165221?hl=en&co=GENIE.P...

Let me know if you have any other questions

Whistle Support

7. Dawn closed this discussion on 16 May, 2017 07:21 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac